Episode 155! The Guardians try an updated format for our weekly news section – even though Carol the Cat fails at it! Kiara Garrett and Lonna Vines hung in there and we talked some more about their upcoming FREE event – Imagi-Con, happening at ImaginOn on Saturday, July 22nd from 12 noon to 4 PM.
This Week’s Topics included:
- RIP: Adam West (Batman) & Peter Sallis (Wallace & Gromit
- Wonder Woman does fantastic at the box office
- JK Rowling to the twitter rescue for Stephen King
- Community Calendar video blog! #supportlocal
- Backlash for the Black Panther Poster
- So You Think You Can Dance is back!
- Carol: Weird TV (Fargo & Twin Peaks)
- Matt: Darth Vader #1 Comic
- Joey : iZombie, Brit TV (Doctor Who, Class & Orphan Black)
The initial idea for Imagi-Con came from another librarian who was in town visiting ImaginOn. Kiara brought up the idea to another library staff member (Jamey Rorie) and since both of them knew we wanted to do more programming with graphic novels, by 1) promoting the growing collection and 2) reach the population that we knew it currently served, and we just ran with the idea of hosting a comic con. But with the majority of the teen population that both Jamey and Kiara serve, and doing research about other local area comic cons, they knew that most of their teen patrons couldn’t afford to go to any of them, so they wanted to make sure that the teens had the opportunity to attend and experience a comic con. Part of the CharMeck library system’s mission is to create the library as a place where the staff strives to make the library accessible and welcoming to all, so Kiara, Jamey, and Lonna wanted to make sure that this program met that need.
About Kiara Garrett
Kiara is a native Charlottean who has been working for the Charlotte Mecklenburg Library for the past 5 years. She currently serves as a Teen Service Specialist at the ImaginOn branch working with youth ages 10-18.
About Lonna Vines
Lonna Vines is new to the Charlotte Metro area. She has been the Children’s Librarian at the Hickory Grove Branch Library for the past 6 months and is on the planning team for the Imagi-Con. She has her Master’s in Library and Information Science, has worked in public libraries for the past 8 years, and was also in charge of planning the Library Comic Con at her previous library system located in Livingston, Louisiana.
- Dates: Saturday, July 22nd 12 NOON – 4 PM
- Where: ImaginOn (300 E 7th Street, Charlotte, NC)
- Tickets: FREE (Recommended ages 10 and up.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO
Originally recorded 06/14/2017